D-Day (September 25, 2011)
It started out a normal Sunday morning.
We got up, attended church/ explained to everyone that
"Yes I'm still pregnant. Tomorrow's my due date. Nope haven't felt anything different that what I've felt for the past few months (Braxton Hicks)",
came home & took naps, went to Josh's parent's for dinner & played a game of Scrabble.
We came home a little before 8 & decided that Chase was being too crazy.
The boys got ready for bed & we got ready for a family prayer.
Just as I was about to say the prayer I felt this really bad "cramp" that made me kneel & bend over our ottoman for the prayer.
Thought it was just a Braxton Hick so after prayer we put Chase to bed & turned on Amazing Race.
We made it about 10 minutes into the show when I felt another really bad "cramp".
I thought maybe it was an actual contraction so I decided to go take a hot shower & start timeing them. They were about 8-10 minutes apart so I called Kaiser who said to time them for an hour.
Riley went to bed & after about 40 minutes of continuous contractions I told Josh to call his mom to come over. I said "It's probably nothing. Just horrible Braxton Hicks but I'll take my chances & have them check me out. I'd rather get all the way to Walnut Creek & them tell me no than not go."
While waiting for Josh's mom to drive over I told Josh to snap a picture in case this was the real deal.
9:30 pm
Taken in between contractions
We got on the freeway @ 9:50 pm & I texted my SIL that we were headed to Walnut Creek Kaiser. She texted me back with
My due date was 9/26/11...only a few hours away so my thoughts were that it was going to be impossible for me to have a baby before my due date. :(
We got to the hospital about 10:15 pm (Josh was driving so fast!) & as I got out I had a really bad contraction. We checked in (I didn't realize they asked you all the same questions that they ask you when your being induced while your in PAIN! WTH?!).
They put me in the monitoring area & after about 10-15 minutes a nurse asked
"Have you been checked?"
I said "No" so she checked me.
I was sure she was going to tell me I was maybe dialated to a 5 or 6....at least I hoped.
She looked at me & said "Oh wow! You're at an 8 almost 9. I can feel your baby's hair."
WHAT!!???
She called for a room to be available & wheeled me down to it.
I was staying very calm until they put me in the room & I had a really long, painful contraction.
I started to panic! Where was the nurse & where was my Epidural?
Josh vomited in the trash can which I blamed on nerves. Then my nurse came in.
Her name was Elizabeth & she was this super nice, southern hospitality, black woman.
She told me that she was going to put an IV in me to get me a bag of fluids so I could then get my epidural.
Just as she poked me with the IV needle I started to have another bad contraction.
She told me to try to not push, but that's all I felt I could do to relieve some pain.
Of course that made my water
Nurse Elizabeth just looked @ me & said "Honey, that was the only thing keeping your baby in."
The doctors & nurses came in as I was panicking since I've always had epidurals.
I seriously didn't think I could possibly do this without one & on top of that Josh wasn't by my side like usual since he was still feeling really sick & looking like he was going to pass out.
I kept telling the nurses & Drs that I couldn't do this,
but two pushes later (6 minutes after my water broke)
Daxton LaVere Phillips was born!
and after a checkup that Daxton passed with flying colors we were allowed to go home with him.
4 comments:
Great story! Reminds me a lot of Rowen's birth, you just HAVE to push!!! Love those full-term healthy babies!
Yay for quick deliveries! So sorry that Josh wasn't doing so well though and you didn't have him to help you. :( Daxton definitely looks like he fits in your family, so glad he was healthy and everything went well!
what a story! Love the video. He looks soo perfect and looks just like his brothers. Such a cool name too.
What a beautiful Story. I am in tears. What a great job. It is tough to do without drugs, but I prefer it. What handsome, stunning boys you have.
Post a Comment