Friday, October 10, 2008

Prop 8


I've been thinking about what else I could do to help with the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. I haven't won the lotto recently (or ever)so I don't have the funds to help in that aspect as much as I would like, but after seeing some fellow bloggers posts I knew that this was my way to get the word out also.

Proposition 8: The California Marriage Protection Amendment
"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California."


Proposition 8 is about preserving marriage; it’s not an attack on the gay lifestyle.
Proposition 8 doesn’t take away any rights or benefits from gay or lesbian domestic partners. Under California law, “domestic partners shall have the same rights, protections and benefits” as married spouses. (Family Code §297.5.) There are no exceptions to this. Proposition 8 will not change this.


Proposition 8 protects our children from being taught in public schools that same-sex marriage is the same as traditional marriage. In health education classes, state law requires teachers to instruct children as young as kindergartners about marriage. (Education Code §51890.) If the same-sex marriage ruling is not overturned, teachers will be required to teach young children that there is no difference between gay marriage and traditional marriage.

I'm not ready to have that talk with my kindergartner. Are you?

YES on Proposition 8 does three simple things.

1)It restores the definition of marriage to what the vast majority of California voters already approved and human history has understood marriage to be.
2)It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people.
3)It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage.

3 comments:

Shayla said...

Good for you... this is great, I dont here much about anything like this here in Idaho... I hope that everything goes well & CA is "protected." Good luck!

Amber Carter said...

You had some good info here! I used your quotes from California code on my blog. Thanks for everything you do to support prop 8, I hope that there are enough of us to get it passed!

Jenni said...

Good job. I just slapped a sticker on my car tonight.