Friday, April 27, 2012

Blast from the Past

My parents invited Daxton & I to go with them out to Newark to visit my old babysitter
who had just celebrated his 89th birthday.

Ernie & Louise took care of me from when I was only 3 months all the way to when I was 8 years old
and were like my adopted Grandparents.
They even took me on vacations with them in their RV.
I remember Ernie taking me to the donut shop where I always got sprinkled donuts (and still do to this day).
Their adult son had a chocolate lab named Hershey that stayed at their house sometimes
& Hershey was my pal.
It was interesting how small of a world it was when after we stopped being babysat
by them I ran into Ernie at my elementary school.
He was the milk man that delivered the milk for the school lunches.
I always got a free milk when he came.
(The perks of knowing the milk man.)

Unfortunately, Louise, who suffered from Alzheimer's &
was living in an assisted living facility,
died the Monday before we went to visit. (4/22/12).
It was sad to hear him say that she hadn't been the same for about 10 years.

On a happier note, it was interesting to walk into their house & have so many memories
come back to me.
I specifically remember sitting in this exact spot watching "Care Bears" & "My Little Ponies".
It was even weirder/ neat to be sitting there
with the youngest of my three boys playing with a My Little Pony.
4/27

Here we are with Ernie who is one tough man.
89 years young. 


No comments: