Friday, March 15, 2013

1st trip to the ER

How is it possible that I have three active boys and the first one there is my youngest?!
It was bound to happen but this one was pretty scary.

Chase was trying to "help" Daxton down the top stairs of the house by carrying him.
All it took was a little trip and they went tumbling down the stairs landing on the tile landing.
Both were screaming and crying. No broken bones and after some consoling I was able to get Chase to calm down. Daxton on the other hand kept crying and seemed really out of it.

So after a phone call to have Grandma Phillips' meet us at the Emergency Room we headed to the hospital 5 minutes away even with me unshowered and still in my pajamas.
By the time we got there Daxton had stopped crying but he just wasn't himself so Chase went with Grandma and I headed in with Dax.
They checked him right in but he was super sedate and relaxed the whole time the doctor checked him out with a huge bruise on his head that wasn't raising very much.


The doctor was pretty concerned at the fact that he seemed so sleepy so he requested a CT scan.
They gave Dax some Benadryl to relax him more.
Unfortunately, it had the exact opposite effect.
He was wide awake and very active.





Josh left work and came to the hospital to help me out.
Dax was given some more Benadryl but he fought it tooth and nail and refused to fall asleep.
They even gave him Valium. He would fall asleep and then wake up the moment we laid him down on the scanner.
The nurses were very patient with us but it was going on 5 hours when I said we needed to try something different instead of just pumping his little body with valium that wasn't making a difference.

They decided that the CT scan was still something that really needed to be done for him and that they would sedate him for it. So they sent in two nurses to insert an IV thinking that he would fight them and instead he just laid there and watched them like it was no big deal. 
No tears. No screaming. Nothing.
Then it was just time to wait until they could get enough staff and pediatric equipment ready for his sedation.



It finally happened two hours later.
It was the scariest thing I've ever seen. I'm very thankful that Josh was there otherwise I would have had a massive melt down. It also helped that our nurse was one of Chase's preschool friends moms. She was so nice and reassuring for both Josh and I.


They had him on a heart monitor and oxygen tubes up his nose.
They put the medicine in his IV and within seconds his little eyes rolled back and he was out.
He looked like he was dying though so I started to cry.
The minute he was done with the scan Josh scooped him up and handed him to me. The nurse kept reassuring me that I had done the right thing and that he would start to come to very soon. 
He did but I just held him ever so close. He got jello to eat and his scans came back completely clear.

He is one stubborn tough little boy and we are so thankful that he is okay. That we had family and friends praying for him.
We were blessed with friends that brought dinner to us that night and we squeezed all our boys a little tighter last night. It was scary!
Even writing it right now makes me cry. I hope to never have to see my kids like that again.

No comments: