Thursday, September 01, 2011

Baseball Season

I always said that there was no way that Riley was going to play baseball.
I just find it pretty boring & didn't want to commit myself to having to watch a boring sport.
When we found out that our good friends had a team though I figured if it was going to happen @ least I would be spending time with people I liked.  Then we found out it was the division right above where Riley's age qualified so Josh got sucked into helping coach the team so that Riley could be on our friend's team.
Overall it was a good season & Riley learned a lot. 


The weather was not cooperating on Opening Day so it was held inside the gym @ a local high school.
The families sat on one side while the league sat on the other.

It was so loud in the gym & Chase was not very amused.
He plugged his ears & kept looking over @ the teams as if to say
"Be Quiet!"

The cutest/ funniest part of the whole season was when Riley tried to be catcher.
Let me just tell you that the catcher gear is so cute!
We found out pretty fast though that Riley was not "catcher material" due to being so afraid of the ball.
Here is a clip of him as catcher for the 1st time.
He just kept backing up so much & when they pulled him off he said
"The umpire kept telling me to move forward, but I didn't want to get hit by the ball.  I don't think he did either since he was staying behind me."
It was pretty funny!

It didn't help Riley any though when for the first few times he was @ bat he got hit by the ball.

By the end of the year though he had gotten over some of his fear of the ball & at least would stay up to the plate.  I wish I had video of the first time he hit the ball & made it to first base.  He was so proud.
The first game that he made it all the way back to home plate was great too!
I think his teammates cared more about him doing that then actually winning the game.
It was awesome!

He really did learn a lot about baseball & I think enjoyed it, but the part that he loved the most was hanging out with his buddies from school.

The parents always cracked up @ Riley because he would be singing in the dugout.  Once the song of the day was Katy Perry's "Futuristic Love" chorus.  I just had to smile & say "Yup, that's Riley for ya." 
Truthfully he would have been just as happy with the season if he would have stayed in the dugout the whole time....he's just a social butterfly.  He also really enjoyed having Josh there as his coach even though that meant he didn't get away with anything.

At the end of the season the team had a team party @ a local park. They got their awards & got to hang out with their team mates.

Chase probably enjoyed it the most.
Wouldn't you if you had found the cooler with all the Capri Suns in it & had full access to as many as you wanted?

Plus @ the end of the day he got to ride in our empty cooler to the truck.
He was in heaven!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

You have some handsome boys!! ... and men. ;) he he he.